Wednesday, June 23, 2010

World Cup!

Have not put my two cents onto the web recently, so decided that now was a good chance. And of course I will be talking about the world cup. First off, I am starting to wonder about the USA and soccer (more commonly known as football). It seems like the US football team is getting better on the world stage (they just finished at the top of their group mere minutes ago). However, I have seen on a street level that football in the US seems to be still lagging in street level popularity. Two examples. One, is from this tutoring program that I help out with. These kids are all international, many coming from great footballing nations south of our border. However, these kids though they enjoy football would much rather play basketball, the scourge of the sports world. The second example is of the women I met in the grocery store. She was talking about the current NBA championship games. Now I am not totally against these games, but this women was talking about them like they were the sports event to watch. I asked her about the world cup, and all she could say was  "its too boring, I think Kobe (Bryant) is much more entertaining." Tell me this, is it more entertaining to watch some over paid star win some American based trophy pretty much for himself, or watch the heart ache of the American nation take on the other top nations in a game that involves skill, strategy, and sometimes pure luck? So Kobe may have some fancy moves, but compared to 11 hard working players, playing for their nations glory and name? There is no contest. At the very least, lets start opening our eyes to the worlds biggest game, it could be a place where USA could actually get back its good name in the eyes of nations that are normally hostile. They need to hurry up and get on the bus too, as this world cup has shown us all that the field of football is getting a lot more even, there are no more power nations! Thats my rant. Here is a picture. I think one of the best ones i have done so far.

0 comments:

Post a Comment